A fireplace that “ruined” a historic Brighton resort was seemingly began by a discarded cigarette, East Sussex Hearth and Rescue Service have stated.
Hearth crews have been known as to the Royal Albion Lodge on the East Sussex metropolis’s seafront at about 5.30pm on Saturday July 15, battling the blaze which was introduced underneath management by July 17.
Roughly 100 folks have been evacuated from the encircling space.
A spokesperson from the hearth service stated: “East Sussex Hearth and Rescue Service can affirm the hearth on the Albion Lodge in Brighton on 15 July 2023 was unintended.
“A fireplace investigation has concluded that it was seemingly began by a discarded cigarette which had not been fully put out.”
Work to demolish the “dangerously unstable” a part of the constructing has been ongoing because the July incident.
On September 29, Brighton and Hove council chief Bella Sankey stated: “The constructing is extraordinarily fragile following the hearth, so the work must be gradual and painstaking.
“We’ve got agreed a method ahead with Historic England to ensure we’re not eradicating any extra heritage options than completely crucial.”
The 219-bedroom regency-style resort, which overlooks Brighton Pierwas inbuilt 1826. It’s run by Britannia Resorts.
It’s anticipated Britannia Resorts to cowl the price of the demolition, Ms Sankey added.
A part of the constructing was Grade II-listed by English Heritage and suffered a earlier hearth in November 1998.