UK particular forces are accused of illegal “massacres” throughout evening raids in Afghanistan.
Right here, the PA information company appears at why the inquiry referring to illegal killings within the war-torn nation has been commissioned and what it would contain.
– Who commissioned the inquiry?
The impartial statutory inquiry was commissioned by then-defence secretary Ben Wallace underneath the Inquiries Act 2005.
– Why was the inquiry commissioned?
The probe was commissioned within the wake of authorized challenges from Leigh Day solicitors on behalf of the Saifullah and Noorzai households, in addition to notable media investigations from BBC Panorama and The Sunday Instances newspaper.
– Who’re the Saifullah and Noorzai households?
The Saifullah and Noorzai households introduced judicial evaluate proceedings in opposition to the Ministry of Defence (MoD) in 2019 and 2020, which challenged the MoD’s failure to research the deaths of members of their households throughout evening raids.
– Which issues are the inquiry tasked with inspecting?
The probe will take a look at whether or not Royal Navy Police investigations had been successfully and correctly carried out, whether or not there’s credible info that illegal killings had been carried out by UK particular forces, whether or not any illegal killings had been coated up at any stage, and what classes could be realized.
– What timeframe will the inquiry take a look at?
The inquiry will take a look at incidents between mid-2010 and mid-2013.
– Which Royal Navy Police investigations are being scrutinised?
Operation Northmoor and Operation Cestro might be scrutinised by the inquiry – each of which appeared into alleged illegal executions by particular forces throughout evening raids in Afghanistan.
– What number of evening raids had been referenced in counsel to the inquiry’s opening submissions?
Oliver Glasgow KC detailed seven separate evening raids which resulted in 36 deaths.
– Why would possibly some inquiry hearings be held in personal?
Lord Justice Haddon-Cave mentioned many hearings must be held in personal because of “causes to do with nationwide safety” which can be “extremely delicate”.
– What’s going to occur if the inquiry finds proof of illegal exercise?
The inquiry’s chairman mentioned anybody discovered to have damaged the regulation ought to be “referred to the related authorities for investigation”.